Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Junk Food Bin

I have a guilty secret.  And it's called a junk food bin.

This bin is the only place I let junk food live.  When the bin is full, that's it.  No more junk purchases.  It's actually not all that bad, I think.  Working off my memory, I have chicken and beef flavored ramen (which I don't even like/eat; it's for my picky friends when they get hungry), Orville Redenbacher's Smart Pop Butter, Nutella, Nabisco 100 calorie desserts (Sandies, Chocolate Chip and rice krispies treats), one bar of Lindt's 70% Cacao, one bag of Goetze's Caramel Cremes and one bag of Sensible Portions Potato Straws in the BBQ flavor.  I don't typically buy pre-made bakery treats.  I like baking too much for that.

I've tried not having any snack type things in the apartment, but I feel like I'm depriving myself, which has always been the fast track to binging for me.  If I want ice cream and I deny myself, I will eat literally everything else in the pantry and still feel like ice cream in addition to feeling horrible about myself.  Better to just let myself have half a cup, for christ's sake.

Having the bin helps me keep some "bad" foods in the apartment without letting them take over.  I try to make them last because, let's be honest, I'm a broke college student.  I buy semi-nice dark chocolate and organic snack type things so I feel like it's even more of a treat.  Something to be savored, not scarfed down.

How do you strike a balance between healthy eating and the constant temptation?  Share your thoughts, even if it's to tell me that you don't like my system!

No comments:

Post a Comment